Discourses of male and female
| This post in the discussion forum lead me to read Vivien Burr and become aware of the discourses on gender and she mentiones that discourses such as unnaturalness, perversion and sickness have been related with homosexuality and lesbianism. My lecturer in International Human Resources mentioned that there is nothing new under the sun but we are not aware about how easy is to overlook things (or take them for granted) and follow the crew. I have the idea that a homosexual cannot be loyal and will always be promiscous. Therefore, anytime that I came across male gays I tend to feel sorry for them because I think they will be unfaithful and in a "vicious circle" in which they will forever be looking for a partner, being unfaithful, breaking up, starting another relationship and so on. However, I came to realise that this may be a discourse, because I see this idea of perversion when I deal with them. |
3 Comments:
At 7:32 pm,
Rossana Espinoza said…
Just to make this post clearer, it is related to another post in the discussion forum about a student who has a female friend who looks like a boy and people usually ask straight away whether or not she is lesbian. Tina suggested to read Vivien Burr and if you do and follow the index you will see a couple of pages about the discourses that we draw upon gays and lesbian.
At 3:42 pm,
Rossana Espinoza said…
According to Gergen, a consequence of the discourses of power is that people end believing they are what their label says and they construct themselves around this.
I suppose this applies to the discourses of male and female and about that post about a lady that looks like a boy and people ask whether she is a lesbian or not.
At 11:52 am,
Rossana Espinoza said…
Carrying on with Burr, many discourses are being always constructed and therefore those related with gender tend to constrain people how might prefer the same gender. For example, some discourses tend to focus on homosexuality as an illness, other tend to focus on homosexuality as being perverse.
Post a Comment
<< Home